Antwerp shops are open every first Sunday of the month
In Belgium the retail trade is subject to legislation that imposes closing hours and a weekly day of rest, meaning shops cannot be open 7 days a week. Most shops in Belgium will close on Sunday. For a long time this meant that there was no sunday shopping in Antwerp. But when Antwerp was officially recognized as a tourist center in September 2014, the restrictions were lifted for Antwerp retailers.
As a result, the city of Antwerp introduced Sunday Shopping on the first day of each month. It is an initiative that works on a voluntary basis. This means that not all stores participate. From my experience however, it is still worth while heading into to town for shopping on Sunday, as most shops do open. You’ll find open stores in the areas around the historic center at De Keyserlei, Meir, Diamond district, Wilde Zee, Fashion district, Hoogstraat, Kloosterstraat, Schuttershofstraat, Huidevettersstraat, Kammenstraat, Groenplaats and Zuid.
Where to shop in Antwerp?
- Meir hosts big international brands.
- Schuttershofstraat is known for its luxury boutiques.
- At Kloosterstraat you can buy antiques.
- The area around Wilde Zee has smaller brands and boutiques.
- Schrijnwerkersstraat is Antwerps tastiest street, as it hosts loads of Belgian chocolate shops, biscuitshops and bakeries.
Shops are open in these streets: De Keyserlei, Meir, Diamond district, Wilde Zee, Fashion district, Hoogstraat, Kloosterstraat, Schuttershofstraat, Huidevettersstraat, Kammenstraat, Groenplaats and Zuid.
Add a Comment